Sunday, April 12, 2009

Rediscovering Katok



Recovering an old video from the archives, a serendipitous event for the day. Katok, shot on video and intended to be a short experimental film, was never made (maybe in my head), but I never sought to complete it after losing steam.



I shot it during in my mid- twenties and looking back at it, I can't help, but laugh. Well, solid proof of how immature my work really was in my 20s. The difference I guess was not the intensity. I still have that, but the energy back then was different, nothing was calculated and stumbling along the way was part of it. There was no critical eye and you just relish everything that comes your way.



Katok (means 'knock' or also an expression for a nutjob).

I'm still friends with Krist, the actor in this video. He is a screenwriter now for Babae Ako (I am a Woman) a very steamy short film making the local rounds. He still has that waifish, heroin chic look! (Damn I'm envious!)



I can't exactly remember everyone who was there at the shoot, but I am thankful that they were there. I do remember Joy being mad at me (can't blame her- the girl loves me). Ruel for being utterly quiet, much like Buddha overseeing everything. Albert then and Albert now is in arguably the same, ma-diskarte with that cool composure he's known for. I think the huge difference with him now is that he's the most active indie film cinematographer I know. I feel we will all still be together in the end doing the same shit on film or video. Hey, we do love our shit!

No comments:

Post a Comment